Friday, July 28, 2006

Oncology

My first rotation is almost over. In fact, today was my last full day. It has been an amazing month.

One of my first patients came in the hospital with some pain and didn't realize he had advanced cancer. He passed away within a week or so. I went from joking with him when he was first admitted, oblivious to the widespread metastases, to watching him try unsuccessfully to get a really good deep breath. Watching a person die is unpleasant, certainly. But watching a family watch their loved one die is heart-breaking. He had come from out of town to visit. And then, just like that, he was gone.

Since that patient I've seen lots of variations on a theme. People who are ready to die, people who are desparate to try anything to avoid it, people whose family understand that death will come, those that can't accept it. Somtimes I stop and feel a little surprised that this is the patient population I've chosen for myself. And then I remember that I find peace in the idea of helping people gracefully leave one part of their eternal life to enter the next. It won't always be happy, but it can always be hopeful.

2 comments:

MMA Lady said...

One of our friends in Sunday school starts chemo and radiation soon. Her cancer is also more extensive than originally thought, and it has been surreal walking this with her. But she has hope even in the face of death, and she continues to say, "My God is bigger than my cancer." However, we know that "to live is Christ, to die is gain." So many don't know that. What a gift you can give to some at the end of their life. If my family and I ever must go through such an ordeal, I pray for a doctor like you.

B said...

Thanks for being willing to be a strong,compassionate force for good when people are going through such horrible times! You're pretty cool Dr. Coach!