Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Beyond boycott

You may have heard about the famous K-mart boycott of 1999, in which Boss, having been irreparably harmed by the insensitive personnel at her local K-mart, turned to the only recourse a private citizen has in such a situation--harsh economic sanctions from a single customer. Oh yes, their bottom line would feel her wrath. But then, alas, they had a sale on cutey little shoes and the boycott was temporarily suspended. And it has been temporarily suspended ever since whenever the inconvenience of not shopping at K-mart has outweighed the benefit of nearly putting them into bankruptcy. (You heard about that a while ago? Yeah. Don't mess with Boss.)

There has got to be more that we can do, right? Sue them? No. That would require far too much effort. And preferably a legal case. Malign them? Perhaps. Yes, perhaps.

Not malign, but tattle, we decided. We have started a new blog at YouAreOnMyList.blogspot.com where we can spew forth our consumer grievances in a cleansing act of tattling. We may even vindicate a few we consider to be good guys.

And, because it's so fun, we're opening up the complaining (and occasional admiring) to anyone who would care to participate. If you want to be a contributor to the blog (not just a commenter, but log in and post whatever you want), let either of us know and we'll be glad to add you on. We want you to, so go ahead.

3 comments:

Ree said...

Yes, I do remember your K-mart (when its convenient) boycott. I'm sure I have had frustrating experiences with inept customer service people, but I'm not sure I could make the stories as funny as you did in the new blog. LOL!

MMA Lady said...

Yes, I want to complain! This one of Scott's and my favorite things! Maybe I can get him to sign on, too! But we also like to root for the good guys, so I like how you have it going both ways. Wow, how sad that I'm basically giddy at getting to do this . . .

Trick said...

I have often written letters or filled out comment cards when I have been unhappy with service. For a while it was great because places usually responded with lots of apologies and free stuff. However, one time I got even more rudely treated at my local Fry's grocery store. So I strictly boycotted the place for a year or two. Then one day as I felt how much anger still welled up in me every time I drove by that place, I realized harboring all this anger was hurting me a lot more than my individual boycott was. So I forgave the lousy employees and stopped the boycott. I still like to let the word out when I am unhappy with a business, so I will check out your new blog. Thanks!